Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Halfway to Brazil (or reassignment)

This week has just flown by. I can't believe I'm halfway done with the MTC. I'm so excited to get out into the field, but I'm just hoping I know how to talk once I get there. A couple Brazilian visas have come in the last few days, but there are still a ton of people getting reassigned all over the United States, from San Bernadino to Chicago to Tallahasse. A week ago I was kind of excited about getting reassigned, and it almost felt like waiting for a mission call again, but yesterday we taught a couple of lessons in Portuguese and they went really well and then one of my teachers told us a bunch of mission stories from Brazil and showed us some pictures, and now I can't wait to get there. But whatever happens, I'll just enjoy the work and serve as diligently and as happily as I can. The Portuguese department is going crazy here at the MTC. We have two teachers, Irmao Rosemore and Irmao Paulich. Brother Rosemore went to the Campinas mission and loved it and I think Brother Paulich was in Salvador, but I'm not sure. Anyways, usually the teachers stay with the same district the whole stay at the MTC, but since since many Portuguese speakers are coming in, they are scrambling to hire new teachers, and so they are taking Brother Paulich to train a new teacher with a new district. I haven't met our new teacher yet, but he's not a Portuguese speaker, so morning classes will cover the gospel instead of the language from now on.   
 
Not too much has happened this week. I've kind of gotten into a routine, and have a lot more energy than I used too. Thursday we taught at the TRC for the first time. That's where I volunteered, but for foreign languages, the volunteers don't pretend to be investigators. They just act like themselves, and we try and get to know them and teach them a quick lesson. Me and my companions got to teach an older couple who are native to Rio, and I think I understood all of one word. They spoke so fast and slurred so many words together, it was impossible to keep up. They were really nice though, and slowed down a little bit for us, but it kind of made me nervous for Brazil. I've learned so much Portuguese, but my recall is so slow, and I'm so bad at understanding others. I'm sure it will come with time, but it will definitely be a challenge.
 
I've really learned to love the gospel and am so thankful for the example of Jesus Christ.  I've learned to consider him a friend and a teacher, a brother and a guide.  I really enjoyed reading John 15 and Matthew 6 today so take a look if you have time :).  Thanks for all the love and support and letters.  Other than the Spirit and companions, letters are a missionaries best friend :)



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment