Monday, July 8, 2013

Home Bound

It's been a tough week for Elder Paxman.  He got sick again Monday when we the two of us were on exchanges with Elder Aranda.  He didn't get sick till about 8:30 so we were still able to do everything we had planned, but it stunk for him.  And then he got really sick again Saturday so we had to go in early, at a about 5, and then stayed in all day Sunday as well, which drove all of his crazy.  Elder Paxman from being sick so much, and me and Elder Cozzens from having to stay inside for so long.  You can only read so much scriptures and Jesus the Christ before your brain gets fried.  He started feeling better this morning so hopefully he keep up for a couple days more.  I think he's lucked out with a new President and wife coming in, because Sister Collins was about ready to send him to the ER or home, neither of which Elder Paxman liked.  But the President and Sister Cleveland are still a little clueless so it looks like he's bought some time.  He has a couple appointments with some gastronologists out here in Indiana the next couple months.  I guess some of the best in the country so hopefully they'll keep him at least until then.

With Elder Paxman being sick so much progress with investigators has gotten slow.  It's so hard to find time to meet with them regularly, and then we have to cancel, things just get tough.  We went through are area book and decided to drop a lot of people who weren't keeping appointments or commitments, so we're kind of starting over with some people.  

Another potential bright spot is the Nephews of the Garcia's, some sweet members in the branch.  All of Hermano Garcia's siblings are members, but most of them have been less active since coming stateside.  However, they have been bringing three of their nephews to Church and branch activities, JJ, Austin, and Brian.  A couple week ago JJ, who is 11, came up to me in Church and asked me when I was going to come to his house to help get him baptized.  It kind of lit me up when he asked me that, but it's been a process because we want to get his Dad's support as well who really isn't interested in coming back.  But we just talked with the Garcia's and we might start teaching them at their house for now.  We just don't want to baptize them into inactivity, and we are scared that's might what happen since they don't have support at home.  And then again, we don't want to not baptize them if they have that sincere desire.  

Personally, I've been doing pretty good.  It's been tough working in a threesome.  I love both my companions, but it's just hard to compromise with two people instead of just one.  Too many different opinons.  I don't think I've lost myself completely in the work yet.  There was about a week where I was really hoping to get my visa and had a feeling it would be coming, and I think that pulled me away from the Spirit and made me get a little down on myself.  Elder Paxman lovingly called me out on it Thursday night, which kind of snapped me out of it, but since then we've spent a lot of time inside instead of out.  Spanish is getting better, so that's been fun.  I'm crossing my fingers it transfers over to Portuguese as good as my Portuguese transfered over to Spanish, but I'll worry about that when the time comes.

I have no idea about my visa.  Still completely in the dark.  I'm curious what they'll do with me in transfers a week and a half from now.  They usually split trainers and trainees after the 12 weeks are finished, but they like keeping  visa waiters in a threesome so they don't have to close any areas if and when visas finally come.  Not sure what they'll do with me next.

I guess the other big thing this week is I met President and Sister Cleveland this week.  They are great people, and President's theme so far has been "Touch All The Lines."  A nice analogy on running ladders in practice.  Half of me thought he would open up the gym and have us run some right then, but that didn't quite happen.  I guess he coached Paul George when he was at Fresno State, who now happens to be the best player on the Pacers.  Kind of a fun connection.

All in all things are going well and the work continues to progress.  Sometimes not as fast as I would like, but like President Uchtdorf said, "patience requires actively working toward worthwhile goals and not getting discouraged or frustrated when results don't appear instantly or without effort"  

No comments:

Post a Comment